Monday, August 10, 2015

Basketball, Longhorns, CatDogs, and Breadsticks

First of all, if that title doesn't catch your attention, I don't know what will. A long time ago, on a blog that I did such a good job of keeping up with that I eventually forgot every detail of my login information, I began what I had intended to be a series entitled "The Saga of Beth's Strange Dreams" or something catchy like that.  In this series I had planned to blog about the weird/funny dreams that I had on basically a nightly basis. I think I made one post in which I discussed a dream about being on the Titanic as it was sinking or some other dramatic crisis, and that was the end of the series. I'm not saying I'm picking that series back up, I mean it's been almost a year since I've posted anything on this blog and can probably only access it because of the handy "remember me" feature, but I did have a pretty entertaining dream last night that was a little too detailed for a Facebook post, so here it goes.

The dream began with my friend, Lacey, myself, and a few people who I don't know, driving to the Houston Airport. We were going to watch the SFA vs Sam Houston game, but unlike the yearly Battle of the Piney Woods football game, this was basketball. For some reason, our plan was to drive to the airport and fly to the game. I don't even think this is possible. I mean, the game was in the same city, but I digress. The excitement started early on when I lost Lacey while trying to cross the street between the parking lot and the entrance to the airport. She darted through oncoming traffic like a lunatic while I opted to wait for a large enough space between cars that if I were to trip, I might still have a chance to get up before being crushed by a speeding car. As is actually the case in real life, I had never been inside an airport and was now left to embark on the usual airport activities alone, although I did have Allie. Yes, I brought my dog along for what I can only assume would be a five-minute flight across Houston. I somehow managed to purchase my $40 ticket, check my bags (yes I also had luggage on this trip) and hand Allie off to a man who assured me she'd be well taken care of until time to load her into the cargo area of the plane. It was then time to find the rest of my party. I darted through movie theaters, a video game tournament of some sort, and a house party (this was a very strange and busy airport) and finally found Lacey sitting on a couch drinking coffee. We made our way to a Taco Bell in the food court for lunch. At this Taco Bell, they were experimenting with a new sandwich concept which included a fried chicken fillet smothered in BBQ sauce and served on a sub roll. I'd probably never order this in real life, (I mean, what does Taco Bell know about sandwiches?) but in dream world I did and it was delicious. Unfortunately, I only got to take one bite before it was announced that our flight was boarding and we apparently couldn't take food on the plane, so both our lunches went into the trash. When we arrive at our terminal, gate, whatever the little waiting area is called where you wait for your plane to be boarded (have I mentioned I know nothing about airports?) things really start to heat up. When we handed the already perturbed ticket taker lady our boarding passes, we were informed that you could not actually fly across the city of Houston. Already hangry (a state of anger brought about my hunger) my temper began to flare and I asked why were allowed to purchase tickets if we would not actually be able to use them. I don't remember the answer I was given, so sat down beside Lacey to pout and watch the basketball game on television. We discussed many times why we couldn't just go get the car and drive there, but apparently, the case was just that Lacey and I were on some type of "do not fly" list because the rest of our party had been allowed to board and had the car keys. It was at this moment that I realized that Allie and my bags were on the plane as well so there was really nothing to do but watch the game on TV and contemplate whether or not it would be sanitary to go pull my sandwich out of the garbage so I could have lunch. We either got bored with the game, or it was over, I don't remember which, but eventually we began to explore the airport while we waited for the plane to return with Allie, my bags, and our ride home. We stumbled across a movie theatre that was showing an Ellen DeGeneres movie in which she read you her book, "Seriously... I'm Kidding" (can this please happen in real life?) so of course, we watched that. After the movie was over we exited the theatre and were met by about fifteen Texas Longhorn football players in full gear. Apparently, this airport also hosted college football games. We snapped some pictures and Lacey somehow ended up with a football helmet and we headed back to wait on the return of our plane. It was then that I was informed of some disturbing news about Allie. At some point during the flight, my dog had turned into a cat. If that wasn't strange enough, she was also being quarantined since I guess species transformation isn't something you see every day, and it was determined that I could not take her home until a few hours had passed. Lacey had to work the next day and our ride was nowhere in sight so we came to the most logical conclusion there was, we would walk home and find someone to drive us back to Houston to pick up my cat dog. It wasn't pleasant. We walked for many hours, mostly through swamps and other wooded areas, and for some reason, despite the fact that it was freezing, I was wearing shorts and flip-flops. We somehow made it home and began our search for someone who could drive us back to Houston. We saw that there were lights on in my church and explained our situation to my pastor, Bro. Greg, who agreed to drive us back to Houston along with Sis. JoJo and most of our youth group. As a thank you, we stopped at Olive Garden in Lufkin, which is apparently open 24 hours a day in dreamland, and bought him dinner.

I woke up thankful to find that Allie was still a dog, that I had an intense craving for Olive Garden breadsticks, and unfortunately no pictures of me with any members of the Texas Longhorns football team on my phone. It was definitely a mixture of emotions.

No comments:

Post a Comment