Sunday, May 4, 2014

It's the Most Awfullest Time of the Year

I realized today that it'd been forever since I've written anything on here and decided that needed to change. You see, it's Final's Week and at 10:30 tomorrow morning I take what I am expecting to be the most difficult exam ever written in the history of the world, so you understand why it's crucial to listen to that little voice in my head that tells me that all 2 of you that actually keep up with this, may very well begin showing symptoms of withdrawal soon if I do not provide you with some sort of blog to get you through this next week.

Final's Week is a bittersweet time of the semester. And by bittersweet I mean that it's basically like a lemon with a grain and a half of sugar in the middle of it. On one hand, the semester is almost over, the light at the end of the semester-long tunnel is finally becoming visible , but on the other hand, there's a freight train full of final exams to squash you into the railroad tracks.

It's the time of year when the library is more crowded at 3 o'clock on a Sunday afternoon that it's been all semester, at least 80% of any given college student's liquid diet is composed of coffee, Red Bull, 5-Hour Energy, or any other caffeinated beverage, and McDonald's begins to sound like fine dining when compared to the Ramen Noodles and Mac and Cheese we use as sustenance for the the week.

It's also the time of year for our procrastination skills to be truly tested. We all know that Final's Week is coming, it's not some huge secret that is sprung on us during Dead Week of every semester. We know it's going to be incredibly stressful. We know we're not going to get a decent night's sleep all week. We know that due to lack of time and money, more junk food will be stuffed into our bodies than went into Morgan Spurlock during the filming of Super Size Me. We know exactly what to expect, and yet nobody begins to prepare for finals until MAYBE the weekend before. We begin to have thoughts like, "sure, I can read that entire textbook in 2 days, not a problem" or "I can totally make an A in this class if I make a perfect score on the final, no big deal". Unfortunately we're just kidding ourselves and we normally realize that about 3 hours before the time of the exam.

At some point during the week I think we all decide to take a step back and see what our true goals should be. Going into every final I know the exact score I need to make to either a) maintain the grade I already have, or b) bump myself up to the next letter grade. I don't know why I do this, all it ever does is psych me out because I know good and well that no matter how comfortable I am with the material, I'm never going to make an A on a math final, but I still do it every semester.

I don't really know where I was going with any of this, there's no grand idea behind any of it, really just felt like writing and taking a study break. Now to continue preparing for the most dreadful exam of my life.

Don't be surprised if you don't hear from me for a while, I will either be studying or maybe even possibly sleeping throughout this week, but until next time, stay awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment